The American Society for Enhanced Recovery (“ASER”) respects the privacy of its members and other visitors to its web site. This Privacy Statement describes how ASER treats personal information when you use ASER’s Web site located at www.aserhq.org (each, the “Site”). This Privacy Statement does not address or govern any information gathering, use, or dissemination practices related to information collected from the user (referred to as “you” or “your“) other than directly through or from the Site, such as from telephone, facsimile, postal mail, personal delivery, or other or additional offline means or media. By using the Site, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Statement.
Collection of Personally Identifiable Information
“Personally Identifiable Information” is information that identifies you as an individual. The Personally Identifiable Information we collect is what you tell us about yourself.
Several areas of the ASER website (such as membership forms, meeting registration forms, abstract submission forms, and online voting forms) require users to provide various types of information, including contact information (e.g., name, postal address, telephone number, and email address), unique identifiers (like passwords), financial information (like credit card numbers), and demographic information. Each type of information serves a different purpose, depending on where it is requested.
Use and Disclosure of Information Collected
a. Information you provide
Some elements of the Site may ask you to submit Personal Information in order for you to benefit from the specified features or participate in a certain activity, such as applying to be a member, processing of online donations, or registering for an event. For example:
- Membership Application or Non-Member Account Registration: If you register to begin the process of applying for a membership or if you register for a non-member account on the Site, we may request Personal Information such as your name, professional title, and contact information, like your email address, and telephone number.
- Searches: When you perform a search within the Site, we may record information identifying you or linking you to the search performed and recording information related to the search request.
- Donations and Sponsorships: If you choose to make a donation or provide a sponsorship through the Site, we will collect your name, your billing address, your shipping address, and your credit or debit card, or other financial account information.
- Event Registration: When you register for an event, we will collect the information you provide on the registration form, which may include your name, address, employer, professional title, and area of research interest.
- Communication with Us: We collect any information you provide when you communicate with us through any online “Contact” form or through the live chat Site support function.
We may combine information you submit through the Site with other information we have collected from you, whether on-line or off-line. We treat the combined information in accordance with this Privacy Statement
b. Passive Information Collection, Use, and Choices
Also, as you navigate the Site, certain Personal Information may be passively collected, meaning it is gathered without your actively providing it. This is done using the following techniques in the following ways:
- IP Addresses and Device Data: An IP address is a unique identifier that certain electronic devices use to identify and communicate with each other on the Internet. When you visit our Site, we may view the IP address and other device data of the device you use to connect to the Internet. We use this information to determine the general physical location of the device and understand from what geographic regions our website visitors come. We also may use this information to enhance our Site.
- Through your browser: Certain information is collected by most browsers, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type and operating system type and version screen resolution, and Internet browser type and version.
- Social Media Widgets. Our Site may include social media tools, including social media widgets or plug-ins, to connect you to our social media accounts. These features may set a cookie or use other automatic collection and tracking technologies to collect information about you and your use of the social media features through and in connection with our Site. These social media tools may be hosted by a third party. Your interactions with these tools and the corresponding social media platforms are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide such platforms.
You can set your browser to notify you before you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether to accept it. You can also set your browser to turn off cookies.
We do not track your behavior across third party websites. Our Site currently does not respond to “Do Not Track” (DNT) signals and we operate as described in this Privacy Statement whether or not a DNT signal is received, as there is no consistent industry standard for compliance.
How We Use Personal Information
- We use Personal Information submitted by you or otherwise collected through the Site and through other sources for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement and as otherwise described to you at the point of collection. Generally, we use the information you provide to use for the reason for which it was provided. For example, if you provide us with information to make a donation, we will use the Personal Information you provide to process your donation. Specifically, we may use Personal Information from or about you:
- to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests.
- to send you important information regarding our relationship with you or regarding the Site, changes to our terms, conditions, and policies and/or other administrative information.
- to complete and fulfill your registration for an event and to communicate with your regarding the event, including by email. If it is a paid event, we will process you credit card or other account information for payment purposes.
- to manage our Membership Directory.
- if you make a donation or sponsorship, we use your Personal Information to process your payment;
- to distribute the ASER Newsletter, and to send you information about meetings, your membership benefits such as voting privileges, award opportunities, funding agency requests for information, and leadership opportunities;
- for our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, developing new offerings, enhancing our Sites, improving our services, identifying Site usage trends, and determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns.
- as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- for any other purpose specified at the point of collection.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be disclosed for the following purposes:
- to our agents, representatives, contractors, and service providers so they can provide us with support services;
- if you are an ASER member, your name, title, address, telephone number, and email address, will be included in Membership Directory, which may be made available to other members and to the public according to your preferences;
- if you serve as a board or committee member for ASER, or if you win an award, or participate in an ASER event or publication, we may publicize this information on the Site;
- information included in the annual meeting registration (name and contact information) is published with the meeting program, which is distributed at the annual meeting and publically available online;
- to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Third Party Payment Processor
Where Your Information Is Processed
ASER is based in the United States. No matter where you are located, you consent to the processing and transfer of your Personal Information in and to the United States and other countries. The laws of the United States and other countries governing data protection may not be as comprehensive or as protective as the laws in the country where you live.
ASER will take reasonable steps to protect the information collected and provided via the Site from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, you should understand that no transmission over the Internet is ever fully secure. Also, ASER uses reasonable efforts to ensure that the Site is generally available. However, there will be occasions when access to the Site will be interrupted or unavailable. ASER will use reasonable efforts to minimize such disruption where it is within its reasonable control. You agree that ASER shall not be liable to you for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Site.
We generally retain Personal Information for so long as it may be relevant for the purposes identified in this Privacy Statement or at the time the information is collected, unless a longer period of time is required by law.
Lawful Bases for Processing Your Personal Information
The laws in some countries require us to tell you about the lawful grounds we rely on to collect, use, disclose, and otherwise process your Personal Information. To the extent those laws apply, our lawful bases for processing your Personal Information are:
- To perform a service for you: We may process Personal Information to include you in our Membership Directory and facilitate events and offers of interest to our members.
- To enter into and perform a contract with you: We may process Personal Information to meet our contractual obligations to our users, or to take steps in anticipation of entering into a contract. For example, we process Personal Information on this basis to create a membership account, to process payment for event registration, and to deliver membership benefits.
- To comply with a legal obligation: We need to use and disclose Personal Information in certain ways to comply with our legal obligations.
- For our legitimate interests, where those interests are not overridden by your fundamental rights and freedoms: In many cases, we handle Personal Information because it furthers our legitimate business and educational interests. This includes:
- Providing a safe user experience on our Site;
- Providing customer service;
- Processing membership voting for board and committee positions;
- Sending communications to you about your member benefits and the activities of ASER and its members;
- Protecting users, our members, and our property;
- Analyzing and improving our operations (e.g., optimizing the design and operation of our Site);
- Preparing our Membership Directory; and
- Managing legal issues.
- With your consent: Where permitted by law, we handle Personal Information on the basis of your implied or express consent.
Also, this Privacy Statement is issued on behalf of the Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior as controller of your Personal Information under applicable data protection laws. A “controller” is the person or organization who alone or jointly determines the purposes for which, and the manner in which, any Personal Information is, or is likely to be, processed.
Your Data Rights and Choices
Registered members can update their profile information on the Site by logging into the Site, clicking on your profile, and going to the member profile tab. You can unsubscribe from certain emails by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link they contain. You can opt-out of the use of certain cookie-related processing by following the instructions above (Passive Information Collection, Use, and Choices).
The laws in some countries may give you particular rights with respect to your Personal Information, including the right to access the Personal Information that we maintain, and the right to object to certain processing of Personal Information by ASER. If you would like to submit a data access, correction, restriction, or deletion request, or if you would like to object to certain processing, you can do so by contacting us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will process such request with respect to any Personal Information that we are able to link to you individually based on the information that you can provide to us. These rights and options that you have with respect to Personal Information are subject to limitations and exceptions under applicable law. In addition to those rights, if you live in certain jurisdictions, you have the right to submit a complaint to your relevant supervisory authority. However, we encourage you to contact us first by emailing email@example.com and we will try to resolve your concerns.
Privacy of Children
The Site is not intended for individuals under the age of 18. The Site does not knowingly collect personal information online from users in this age group. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 18, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under age 18, please contact us. We strongly recommend that minors ask their parents for permission before sending any information about themselves to anyone over the Internet and we encourage parents to teach their children about safe internet use practices.
Third Party Links
The Site may contain links to other sites. For example, if you register for an event and wish to reserve a hotel room, you may be directed to the website of the event hotel. ASER is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of external websites. Websites maintained by third parties may collect information and use it in a way inconsistent with this privacy statement. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave the Site, and to read the privacy statements of each website they visit.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, the practices of this Site, or dealings with this Site, you can contact ASER using the contact information below. You may also contact us if you wish to opt out of online communications from ASER. Further, users may contact us to correct or modify information previously provided.
Administrative Office Address
American Society for Enhanced Recovery
2111 Chestnut Ave
Glenview, Illinois 60025 USA
Changes to this Privacy Statement
ASER reserves the right to change this privacy statement at any time. Unless otherwise required by law, notice of any new or revised Privacy Statement, as well as the location of the new or revised statement, will be posted on the Site prior to the change. It is the obligation of users returning to the Site to learn of changes to the Privacy Statement since their last visit. Any change to this Privacy Statement shall be effective as to any user who has visited the Site before the change was made.
Last revised: November 24, 2018